Big Idea: The nature of art and beauty is ever evolving and reflects the cultural values and beliefs of its time.
Lessons in this section examine the nature and purpose of art and the role of the artist in society.
- What is art?
- Who determines what is art?
- How does an artist’s choice of materials and techniques affect the aesthetic quality of an artwork?
- What makes a piece of art beautiful?
- What are the standards for judging art?
- How important are personal tastes when judging the quality of art?
- Why is originality so important in art? How do we define what is original or what is creative?
Critical Response Unit Lessons
Aesthetics Unit Lessons