Youth Arts Council 2019-2020
Application Deadline: Monday, September 23, 2019
We are excited to offer a unique leadership opportunity for Pittsburgh area teens, ages 15-18, to become deeply involved in museum activities during the 2019-2020 academic year as part of the Youth Arts Council. Participants are encouraged to infuse their voice, ideas and creative energy into programs they design for their peers. We are looking to assemble a group of enthusiastic and highly committed teens from diverse communities and schools that would benefit from this experience.
The Youth Arts Council will meet at The Andy Warhol Museum on Thursday evenings, 4 – 6pm, from October 2019 to June 2020. Youth-centered events will be scheduled on select Friday evenings. Participants will receive a stipend and all supplies, snacks and materials will be provided. Transportation support to and from meetings is available in the form of bus tickets.
Over the course of the program, Youth Arts Council members will have the opportunity to:
- Explore The Warhol’s galleries, share insights and interpretations, and go behind the scenes to learn how the museum operates.
- Develop, organize and present three public youth events at the museum
- Friday, December 13, 2019, 6-8pm – Print Party
- Friday, March 27, 2020, 5-10pm – Youth Invasion, The Warhol’s annual teen takeover
- Friday, May 22, 2020 – TBD
- Investigate the connections between art, social justice and community activism
- Utilize techniques such as silkscreen printing, photography, graphic design and digital media, to complete a youth driven publication
- Learn about different arts related careers from mentors, guest speakers, and visiting artists
- Explore other Pittsburgh cultural institutions
- Meet and collaborate with other young people who are passionate about art
*Although participants will engage in art making and the exploration of different art processes, the Youth Arts Council program is not structured as a studio art class.
Museum education staff and previous council members invite students to join them for an information session on Friday, September 20, 2019 from 5–6 p.m. to learn more about this unique opportunity.
Questions and requests for more information can be directed to email@example.com or 412.237.8356. A Youth Arts Council information session will be held at the museum on Friday, September 20, 2019, 5 – 6pm. If you would like to attend, please register at warhol.org. Space is limited.
Please share this opportunity with your friends, teachers, students, families, schools, community centers, and wherever interested teens might be. We look forward to hearing from you!
The Warhol’s Youth Arts Council is made possible through the generous support of the Heinz Endowments, Ford Foundation, Walton Family Foundation, Keith Haring Foundation and Grable Foundation.